Businesses in Fernandina Beach
State of Florida Requirements
There are certain prerequisites that have to be met with the State of Florida before a Local Business Tax application can be accepted.
1. Fictitious Name or Corporation must be registered with the State of Florida. The application is available at City Hall or on the State of Florida’s website.
2. Many businesses and professions are licensed by the state. Please contact the Department of Business and Professional Regulation at (850) 487-1395 to determine the appropriate licensing procedures.
3. Some businesses must file for Federal taxes, for information call (800) 829-3676 or go visit the IRS Website, for State taxes contact the Florida Department of Revenue at (800) 352-3671.
4. If your business has four (4) or more employees, or if a construction-related business has any employees, Workers’ Compensation coverage is required. For more information, contact your insurance carrier or the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Workers’ Compensation, at (850) 413-1601.
**In an effort to provide better service for our contractors and citizens, we have temporarily removed our applications in order to revise them and make them more user friendly. Thank you for your patience. Sorry for any inconvenience.**
Local Business Application ProcessThe has to be complete or it cannot be accepted. Included in the LBTR application packet are:
1) an Affidavit for Local Business Tax, which must be filled out, signed and witnessed; and
2) an Affidavit for Home Local Business Tax, which must be read and signed if the business is going to be based from your home.
Businesses that are not home-based must be operated from a storefront or office. A Business Checklist for businesses that are not home-based is included in the LBTR application packet. A Local Business Tax inspection will be conducted by the Fire Marshal and an Inspector from the Building/Code Enforcement department.
Please note it is against the City of Fernandina Beach Code of Ordinances to operate a mobile vending business.
For information on allowable signage in the City, please contact Planning Department staff, who can help you figure out what signage is permissible at your location. Planners are available at 904-310-3135. Sign permit applications can be found in the Document Center, under City Forms/Community Development/Business.
Dining with DogsAre you a restaurant or food establishment with an outdoor dining area? Would you like to allow dogs in that outdoor area? Under Florida Statute 509.233, you need to get a permit. The one-time application fee is $40, and lasts the life of the business. If the business is sold or transferred, the new owner needs to submit an application. Applications are submitted to the Community Development Department. Dining with Dogs Permit Application